Green Hosting in 2019 – The Contenders For the Best Service Around
Green hosting refers to web hosts that prioritize clean energy and energy efficiency in a bid to reduce their data centers’ impact on the environment. With conservation efforts playing an ever-expanding role on the global stage, green hosting solutions are becoming the go-to choice for the ecofriendly consumer.
Though green hosting solutions are on the rise, it takes a specific type of host to nail both the green and the hosting aspects of the plans it offers. Before you sign a contract with any one green host, consider the following questions:
- What steps do they take to keep their data centers green?
- How much more expensive is your green hosting plan?
- Is it featureful?
- Are its speed and reliability up to scratch?
These are just some of the points you should keep in mind when searching for a green web hosting company, but they should help you find a stellar web host that makes environmental preservation a priority.
Check out our top green hosting website scores below to start with, then read our detailed expert and consumer reviews to uncover the best green hosting service designed to match your needs.
What is Green Energy?
Green energy uses natural, renewable energy sources, such as hydraulic, wind, solar, and geothermal power to create electricity. Unlike fossil fuels such as coal and gas, the collection and utilization of these renewable energy sources does not have a negative impact on planet Earth. Moreover, unlike Earth’s coal and gas reserves, which at some point will become depleted, renewable energy sources are a sustainable long-term solution to our growing energy needs.
Why Do You Need Green Hosting?
Green hosting solutions empower website owners to take a stand against pollution and energy waste by simply choosing a web hosting plan. There are several different ways that green hosts make their data centers – and your hosting services – more environmentally friendly:
- They use renewable energy sources or purchase Renewable Energy Credits (RECs). Some green hosts try and use as much renewable energy as possible. Other green hosting solutions that don’t have access to renewable energy offset their electricity consumption by buying RECs.
Essentially, the host gives money towards renewable energy so that its own conventional energy consumption is equally matched in the production of the same amount of renewable energy. However, because this type of green host is purchasing both power-plant produced electricity as well as RECs their plans can be slightly more expensive.
- They only use energy-star rated servers. Just as energy-star rated refrigerators are designed with energy-efficiency in mind, newer energy-star rated servers are built to consume less electricity than older models.
- They use energy-efficient cooling systems. Air-conditioning has been linked to global warming and energy waste. Though web hosts need to ensure that their data centers are always cold for optimal performance, some green hosts use innovative cooling systems that require less energy and utilize cold outdoor air when possible.
- They promote shared hosting. As shared hosting fits more users on a single server, this type of hosting requires less energy resources than more privatized forms of hosting like dedicated or VPS plans.
What are the Benefits of Green Hosting?
- You’re doing your part to save the planet. In spite of the uptick in solar, wind, and hydraulic energy solutions, around 85% of the world’s electricity is generated from non-renewable energy sources. The extraction and burning processes that turn fossil fuels like coal and gas into electricity take a heavy toll on the environment, causing devastating water, land, and air pollution. When choosing a green host, you’re committing to using less of these toxic fossil fuels and finding ecofriendly ways to power your website.
- You can appeal to environmentally-conscious consumers. Ecofriendly businesses are gaining global traction, especially with teens and young adults. Even if the product you sell has nothing to do with the environment, you can tap into audiences that care about conservation by prominently displaying your host’s green status or accolades on your website.
What Factors to Consider for Green Hosting
- To what degree is it environmentally friendly? Though we applaud every host that tries to minimize its carbon footprint, some green solutions are greener than others. If a hosting company markets itself as green, do your research to found out just how it’s ecofriendly and whether its environmental efforts are in tune with what you’re looking for.
- How much more will you be paying for your conservation efforts? Though green hosting isn’t necessarily more expensive than non-green hosting, certain types of green hosting – like those that purchase RECs – can cost a little bit more. While the ecological benefits of green hosting are undeniable, make sure you choose a green host with plans that cater to your budget.
- What features does your green hosting package come with? Conservation can be a wonderful side benefit of your web hosting company, but first and foremost you need a web host that will provide extensive features for cultivating your website. Browse the green hosts you’re considering to see what beginner and developer features they offer and how accessible their support team is should feature-related issues arise.
- Does it measure up in terms of speed and uptime? As the two major liaisons between you and your audience, speed and reliability are the ultimate benchmarks of an excellent web hosting solution. Even if a web host addresses every type of energy conservation available on the market, if it can’t guarantee upwards of 99.9% uptimes and ultra-fast load times it is not right green hosting option.
Choose the Best Green Web Hosting
Green web hosts have two standards to live up to. On the one hand, they have to provide exceptional web hosting plans, tools and services. On the other hand, they must be making a significant effort to either curtail their energy use or to increase their use of renewable energy. To find an affordable green web hosting solution that can compete with the best of them, browse our user reviews to get started with clean energy hosting services.